Sunday, May 30, 2010

Addiction

According to Google the definition of addiction is:
being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming; an abnormally strong craving.
I think I am addict. I began rowing fall 2003 on my high school, I have a very vivid memory of my first time going down to the rowing club. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I felt an instant sense of comfort there. I have defined myself as a rower from that day. I can't imagine my life without it. I guess that was my first hit.
When did I become an addict? That I can't exactly sure, but it was fairly soon afterwards that it began to affect began to affect my social life, and my family life, and sometimes my academic life. I now barely remember what life is like without it. I hit all the signs of a true addict.
At the end of the day, although most addicts might regret their addictions or wish they could stop, at the end of the day I do not regret rowing, and although there are certainly times when I think about what life would be like without it, I wouldn't want that life.
Rowing has given me so many opportunities that I wouldn't have had other wise. I have gotten to travel to amazing places, meet amazing people, live a healthy lifestyle, I get to an amazing school, countless others.
So maybe rowing is not an addiction but a passion. What is the difference anyways (well when there are no drugs involved)?

My advice to you is go out and find your own healthy addiction!


-Mariel BOOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment